Monday, November 11, 2013

Bad Ears

What I didn't say in my last few posts, was that my whole family caught a nasty cold from our very generous 2 year old a few weeks ago. Madeline brought home something from daycare that started out pretty innocent. She was up a few nights coughing but fine during the day. Then, the snot came. And kept coming. (Is that TMI? Once you have been puked on, you seem to forget boundaries. Or maybe it's just me.) I digress.

Anyways, one night she woke up screaming. SCREAMING. She said her ears hurt and she had water in them. We had been playing in the bath so I thought maybe she did have water in them. I almost took her to Kosair because she was in so much pain. She finally settled down and went back to bed. Woke up happy and had no fever so I let it go.

The next day, Sydney couldn't open her left eye. It was all goopy. Convinced it was pink eye, I took her to the doctor. Turns out, it was just a clogged tear duct. (By this point, Chris and I were in the raging phases of the cold.) Daycare called the next day and said Maddie was crying about her ears again. I picked her up and headed back to the ped for the second time in two days. Poor little girl had a double ear infection...her first in over a year! The ped looked in her ear for a solid minute and just kept staring. She said it was a terrible infection and that Maddie's ears looked like a potion, all gurgly. Sigh.

We got some ear drops and an antibiotic and we are going to our ENT tomorrow. I'm curious as to what he'll say about her tubes. They are obviously not working properly. Poor Maddie. I had tubes twice as a child and STILL get ear infections on the occasion so I really feel for her. I know they hurt.

She is off her antibiotic and is happier. She wore her Minnie head band out this weekend.
 My ears feel better!

I was playing with both girls last night and had Chris take our picture.

I realize I had a funny head band on and said, "Why did you let me wear that in the pic?" Then I said, "I guess I need to give this back to my sister, she must have left it here." To which he replied, "I wondered why you were wearing that. I found that in the yard yesterday. I don't think it's your sisters." EEEEE!!!! So I took it off and threw it away. Men--what is wrong with them?! Why even bring it inside?

I leave with this thought. How old will my girls be before I have a family photo where all four of us are looking at the camera AND smiling? 2 years? 5? Never?

No comments:

Post a Comment