Thursday, August 23, 2012

Cape Cod Hospital

Well, vacation got a little crazy yesterday. We had been having a pretty perfect week, but then yesterday, we had a rather scary turn of events. Madeline had a seizure at the beach and we took her to the hospital in our first ambulance ride. Turns out she has an ear infection (did I tell you both tubes had fallen out as of two weeks ago, at our last ENT visit??), an upper respiratory infection and possibly pneumonia. I say "possible" because the x-ray wasn't conclusive. So...that was rough. Chris and I were all alone on the beach when she started seizing. She hadn't really had any symptoms other than one tug at her ears the other morning, so I didn't think too much about it. I guess her fever spiked at the beach, causing the seizure. She's on an antibiotic and we're rotating Tylenol and Advil around the clock to control the fever. Hoping this subsides quickly. She's pretty miserable today--tired and whiny--so we're just trying to keep her comfortable.  Fortunately, febrile seizures cause no long term damage, according to many studies. Unfortunately, they are about the scariest thing to witness. We picked up Madeline and ran up the beach to Chris's aunt and cousin who had just left us. Jenny, his cousin, is a nurse and helped get Maddie cooled off until the ambulance arrived. She actually works at the hospital so she met us there and made sure we were comfortable the whole time we were in the ER. Chris's parents also met us at the hospital. We are so grateful they all gave up their afternoon to sit and stay with us. I cannot wait to get home and get her to her regular pediatrician for a nice long check-up.

Until Maddie got sick yesterday, we were having a great great time. Here's a few pics of our sweet girl leading up to yesterday.


 We watched a man clamming on the beach. He gave her a clam, but I don't think she really liked it. Such a typical girly girl!


 Pondering her next move

 Walking in the cool Cape Cod water!


 Having a snack

 Dane and Madeline shared a popsicle and it was so sweet and so funny!! 



1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness! So scary! Praying for Madeline and all of you!

    ReplyDelete