A few years ago, Chris got serious about running. Biking shortly followed. We went to watch a friend compete in the Louisville Ironman in Oct 2015 and it struck a chord with him. He started running a little more. And biking a little more. And swimming again (he swam in high school.)
Early this year he decided he wanted to do a Half Ironman. A 1.2 mile swim, a 56 mile bike ride and 13.1 mile run -- for a total of 70.3 miles. I thought he was a little crazy but I knew he could do it.
Because when Chris has a goal, he goes for it. All in.
He trained an insane amount for this race. He'd be in the pool at 5:30 in the morning (or, on his lunch break), he ran after work and he biked for 50 - 60 mile rides on the weekends. Workout, work, sleep. Repeat.
Last weekend, he and I drove to Muncie, Indiana so that he could compete.
Unfortunately, I don't have too many photos. (I took a lot of video.)
Pre-race, at the staring line.
His wave, about to enter Prairie Creek Reservoir.
Waiting for the horn!
After 56 miles on his bike - he was still smiling at me. I couldn't believe it!
The transition area looked like this. I had to shout at him while he was changing.
Just under six hours later, he completed the course!
When he ran under the arch the announcer shouted "First-timer no more, welcome Chris Hughes to the Finish line!"
Here's his splits.
Six hours is the goal for most first time Ironman events. It's an EXCELLENT first race time.
On the way home we stopped in Indiana for tacos at my aunts. I expected Chris to drop me off, thinking he'd be too tired. Instead he stayed. And ate 3 plates of tacos. And seven of my grandma's famous cookies. He had to replenish those energy stores. :)
What a great weekend! I'm so proud of Chris! When he puts his mind to something he does what he needs to do to get the job done. I've always said he's the hardest worker I know!
No comments:
Post a Comment