Sunday, May 13, 2018

Leader Day, Strep Throat and Friends!

Maddie's school had Leader Day this year and M was so excited to be chosen as one of the three leaders for her class. She welcomed parents to the class room, gave them a tour, talked about their WIGs (wildly important goals), reviewed the 7 Habits (her school is big on the 7 Habits for Healthy Children), and more. 
She was so proud!

And so was I! I took the day off work so that I could see her in action.

Celebrating with some fro-yo after!

Maddie has been doing tremendous with her reading. She's up to a 4th grade level and reads constantly. It makes me so happy! She's reading Box Car Children now - I used to LOVE that series and think I might re-read with her now!

Maddie is our early riser. It's nice because now she can read for a bit before waking up the rest of the house. 

It was Derby here in the Bluegrass and we went to a neighbor's house for a party. It was raining a large chunk of the day but that didn't stop the kids from swimming. The pool was 85 degrees so it was actually warmer inside the pool than out! 

Cheering on Justified!

In typical KY fashion, we have completely skipped an entire season. We've gone straight to blazing hot. Kids have been enjoying all of the extra out door time!



On Tuesday of this past week, Chris woke me up complaining of a sore throat. Five minutes later Maddie came in our room crying of a sore throat. I took them to Little Clinic where they both had positive strep throat tests. Lovely.

I played working mom and doctor mom for a few days and thought we were in the clear! We had the craziest day planned for Saturday and about 10 minutes before we left the house Sydney said "my mouth hurts."

Syd is a work horse. Her pain tolerance must be high or she just doesn't get things as extreme as Maddie. We barely knew when she had the flu a few months ago. With strep, she was still playing hard but would regularly interrupt us to tell us her mouth hurt. No fever. 

We had dinner plans with some friends so she went to grandma's for some snuggles. 

And a popsicle.


Since Sydney was still contagious she had to miss our crazy busy day.

We walk in the March of Dimes every year with our friends Ronny and Kristin, whose daughter was born at 24 weeks. 


We went to Hudson's Nerf Gun Party.
 They had targets set up all over the yard with buckets of darts. 


Then we went to Lizzy's Tennis Clinic Party. 



 Maddie loved it! (And now wants tennis lessons, of course.)

It's Mother's Day. It is not lost on me the privilege I have of raising these two young ladies.
 The days are long, but the years are short!


No comments:

Post a Comment